Following the regular day, I also had a teacher dinner today. It is very common in the Korean culture for work places to have dinner together. It is essential for building relationships to getting to know your co-workers. I have noticed, at work, the teachers usually keep a teacher/ professional tone. During the teacher dinners, I am able to better view them more as regular people. Today we ate duck and it was super good. Dinner usually involves good food, good amount of alcohol, and chatting. We even had a mini English session today as they tried to utilize as much English as they could to talk to each other and me. I love their effort and had many great laughs. I had also made banana bread yesterday and brought some in today. One teacher had his phone ready with a translation “I brought you pie today. Enjoy it.” I laughed so hard. I’m sure it meant “I had your cake today. I enjoyed it.” Good laughs. But I got home at about 8pm. I am now just finishing this post but luckily I wrote some ahead because I knew I’d be a little busy.
What has been your most surreal experience in Korea so far?
I have been to Korea before as an exchange student. I studied in Seoul for one semester, therefore coming to Korea again felt familiar. I would have to say the most surreal feeling I have had in Korea is my current location.
I am located in Yeocheon, a province sitting next to the North Korean boarder. Sure, nothing happens and it actually feels quite safe, no sign of danger anywhere. But I see young soldiers’ everyday, military jeeps, pass bases on the daily, and encounter tanks here and there. I always find it bizarre I am located next to what is considered one of the most dangerous areas on Earth. (Korean Demilitarized Zone)
Thankfully the atmosphere and daily life is safe. It’s just everyday Korean citizens going about their daily lives. Korean males have a mandatory 2-year military service. Therefore the majority of Korean men are familiar with this aspect and it’s just a part of their life as Korean citizens. When I lived in Seoul I would never be able to imagine this area of Korea. It’s interesting, however normal. I’m located in the beautiful country, yet I’m situated right next to most isolated country on this planet. Such an interesting juxtaposition. (I definitely need to take some pictures of this ^.^)
2) What would you have told yourself before you got on the plane in Chicago, given what you know now?
I don’t think I would have changed anything before coming into Korea. One thing that I was told before coming into Korea was “to be ready for anything and not be so serious.” And I think that was the best advice given to me regarding my position as a Native English teacher. I was told it's important to be flexible with what is given and expected of me. I feel when people hear “English teacher” they come into Korea thinking they’ll have teacher status and be very official. But it is a little different. We are considered visiting teachers and in my school I work more like an English assistant working with my co-teacher who actually does more of the teaching (in Korean). Some people come here and are quickly disappointed, contemplating their work and why they are not treated like a real teacher. But when you think about it, we are teaching in a system predominately taught in Korean. There is the assumption the Native teacher is not as capable alone, and we do need assistance. The way I view it is the Native teacher provides a cultural aspect to the language and learning. From some reflection of my position and expectations from school, my goal is to make the children become familiar with English so they are able to master at a later age if they choose to do so. Therefore it is important coming into this to be flexible and realize you're status here is a little different from a teacher you imagine at home.
So good night and good morning my fellow readers. I can hear the tanks passing by my home at this very moment. It has become a familiar sound. Haha.
Other Bloggers to check out:
Drew BBB Day 1
Rebecca BBB Day 1
Maggie Ah Monday
Ashley ...meanwhile in Korea...
Abby Bodging for Apples II

No comments:
Post a Comment